Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Professors must put in 40 hrs/week

The UGC has apparently released new guidelines for the professors. The new guidelines states that the teachers must clock in 40 hours a week and be present physically at least 5 hours a day.

My father has a favourite pastime when he visits me. He stands in the balcony and clocks in the movement of everyone. He faithfully tells me the movement. This professor went to the market, this professor stayed at home, this professor met his children at the bus stop...so on and so forth. Rarely, he will tell me, this professor went in the direction of his department and returned back in 5 minutes.

With this guidelines from UGC, I am looking forward to the next visit. Will my father clock in 5 hours for each of the professors?

PS: My father, by the way, makes it very clear that the worst place to do PhD is in my lab. This professor, unfortunately, has a habit of getting to the lab at 8.30am in the morning. Actually, my father should blame my advisor. Joel gets into the lab at 8.00 am in the morning. That is where I got the habit of getting into the lab early. And habits are hard to break!

No comments: