Friday, October 10, 2008

Internet woes

The internet conked off once more two weeks back. It was working fine till 10 am in the morning. I went to the office and came back to find that the internet was no longer working. Since then I have been unsuccessfully calling up MTNL to get the problem fixed. Finally, I was told that I would have to call the area manager who would then authorize for the problem to be fixed. No, don't ask me what, why, etc. All I know is that for the past three days I have been calling the area manager's office persistently. I pestered them, scolded them, yelled at them, to get the problem fixed. It was finally done today. Whew!

When the internet was AWOL, we had the bright idea of switching the internet service provider. Reliance provides wireless internet service. It was supposed to reliable, fast etc. etc. So I called them up and they promptly landed up at home with the datacard which works only on Windows system.

"Not on Linux?"
"No, Ma'am. Do you have Windows?"

I have a double booting system thanks to my brother. So we fixed the stuff up and they told me to activate the card. The speed was worse than dial up and when I and my brother talked on Skype we ended up not understanding what the other was saying. I called up the Reliance service to get the problem fixed but guess what? They are as good as MTNL.
"You must have too many programs on your computer."
"But I use the laptop in my office. The office connection works fine. We have broadband service."
"You must have automatic update switched on. Why don't you download netbooster from our web site."
"I cannot open your website."
"Very well Ma'am. When you open our website, please install netbooster and check the speed. If it does not work then go to the nearest Reliance webworld and check the data card."
"Excuse me. I cannot open your website."
"Yes, Ma'am. Please install the netbooster and check the speed. If it does not work then go to the nearest Reliance webworld and check the data card."
I gave up.
It was at this point I decided to stick with MTNL. At least I know the area manager's phone number.

No comments: