Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Empty Marketplace

We went over to Sarojini Nagar Market yesterday. Amma wanted to buy somethings. She was in two minds- should she let me go by myself or should she come along? Finally, she chose to come with me and appa.

Sarojini Nagar Market in the best of days is jam-packed with sellers and buyers. There is hardly any space to manoeuver. You have to crawl along, sometimes pushing your way through.

Yesterday was different. There were just few shoppers. I asked the shopkeeper what happened to the crowd?

"Those days are gone, madam."

It was sad to see the empty marketplace. The markets derive their vibrancy from the people. If they are not there what is left of our marketplaces?

The bombers, whoever they are, have certainly achieved one thing: Fear. It is there in all of us as we go about our daily lives. Who knows where they will plant the next one? I hate them for that.

No comments: