Monday, March 23, 2009

Hindutva

The past week belonged to Varun as he shot into 'limelight' with his election speech. As I do not have television I did not watch the televised speech. But from what I read in the newspapers it appears to be an immature, rabid, hate-mongering speech. Of course he is still standing from Pilbhit.
I think I have written this elsewhere too. My problem with the Hindutva is: Who has appointed you as the spokesperson of Hinduism? The brand of Hinduism you practice is not the one I recognize or practice. My brand of Hinduism tells me that all men and women and children are one. It tells me to treat everyone with respect. It tells me not to divide people into religion and caste. So does that make me a non-Hindu? Hinduism after all admits that there are many paths to God and you can choose any one path.
I am not sure what was Varun's motive behind the stupid speech. Was it to gain publicity? Was it to proclaim that he was a Hindu? (If God exists then does God need to know whether a person is Hindu or Muslim or Christian? Surely if he is all pervading, all knowing, He would automatically know what you are?)
Oh, then there is a piece by Nayantara Sehgal in Outlook. One sentence caught my eye:

"The difference between Varun and his cousins, Rahul and Priyanka, is that while they were nurtured on the family's secular ideals, he was simply not there. He may have kept up with his cousins and his aunt, Sonia, but having not been brought up within the family, he lost out on his family inheritance, both the ideology and the training."

I have no idea what to make out of it. My first feeling was: What nonsense. Varun is an adult and he should know, by now, what is right and what is wrong. As for the family inheritance the less said the better.

PS: My right arm is still out of action though I can use it for limited purposes. I am figuring out how to do things with the left arm which is partially functional.

No comments: