Saturday, March 14, 2009

Delhi Public Library

After a long time, twenty five years to be precise, I became a member of the Delhi Public Library once more. The library membership is free but one needs to show identity proof as well as residence proof. I lacked both because I do not have a ration card, my passport has Colorado address, andI do not have a driver's license. The officials asked me about my voter's ID card but I did not have one as I have not till now registered as voter anywhere. It was an impasse till the elections were announced. Then there was a drive to get voter registered, which is when I got registered and got my Voter ID card. Ha, that also means, hopefully, if my name is on the voter's list, that I get to vote for the first time in my life.

The library is now a mess. Though they have got computers and we can borrow DVDs, there are hardly any English books. I was told that they have all been borrowed. I have to check out the Hindi section. The librarians can hardly be bothered to keep the place neat and tidy. The books are put on the racks higgeldy-piggeldy.

Why cannot we be bothered with libraries?

No comments: