Thursday, March 19, 2009

Chain snatching

Yesterday I went with appa to Munirka to pick up my shoes from the cobbler. As we walked back, I was engrossed in telling appa about the results we have obtained in the lab, I felt claws on my neck. I thought it was a monkey and put my hands to remove it and simultaneously turned sideways. That is when I saw a man, short and stocky, wearing a striped cream coloured shirt and brown pants, running towards the motorcycle. I ran towards them but they revved up the motorcycle and turned into an alley. I threw the bag of shoes at them but I was never very good at throwing things. All I ended doing was tripping over and falling on the road, scraping my elbow and hands and breaking my glasses.
Oh never mind the trip to the doctor to get it dressed and get a shot of anti-tetanus injection, what bothered me most was the situation. There were two girls watching the whole scene from a balcony on the fourth floor, there were couple of workers walking down the street, there were sundry other people. They must have noticed the robber sneaking up behind me. Not a shout was raised, not a person tried to stop the robber, the girl in the balcony was busy describing the scene to her boy friend on the cell phone. Sheesh!
Anyway, this is the last time I wear gold chains to please my mother!
Oh, before I conclude I must say that the police were polite and helpful. They made me sit down, they went through my statement, and they promised to do something. Whether it would translate into action is debatable but at least the trip to the police station was not nerve racking as it is usually assumed to be.

No comments: