Monday, March 24, 2008

Amma sets a new record

One picosecond.

Let me explain.

The train was 2 hours 15 minutes late. Amma scrambled out of the taxi as soon as it came to a stop in front of the house. She went in, found Ravi, and had a cozy chat while I paid the taxi and dragged the luggage in.

I opened the door and amma pushed past me. She switched on the kitchen light and opened the kitchen door. One look and her nose wrinkled. Appa asked: "How is it?"
Speechless, my mother turned away and started removing her slippers.

I do protest at the treatment. After all, I had lined the shelf with new paper, cleaned the stove after cooking, and scrubbed the tiles.

One picosecond. That is all it took her to declare that the house was dirty.
Appa tells me that 40 days that they are planning to spend with me is not enough to clean up the house.

I give up.

No comments: