Monday, December 31, 2007

A question of Genetics and Happy New Year

My brother gave me Rs 1000/-. His wife had given him strict instructions that he had to give me money for Pongal and Karthikai. Needless to say, I love these festivals.
As my shoes had worn out I decided that instead of saving up the Rs 1000/- in my PF or buying a book as usual, I would splurge it. I would buy myself a nice pair of slippers.
I am not really sure how the inheritance of feet happens. All I know is that I have inherited broad big feet from my paternal grandfather and flat feet from my maternal grandfather. Actually I think the broad big feet is a dominant trait considering my brother and other cousins too have it.
Optimism is opium.
Minsens' in CP was having a sale. I went into the shop and found the pair I wanted. I asked the shop girl whether it would be available in my size. She took one look at my feet and said tactfully:
"You should try these, Ma'am. These have adjustable straps. Your feet are very broad, you see."
Sheesh!
At least she wasn't as bad as the shopkeeper in Sarojini Nagar where we had gone for shopping long time back. He took one look at my feet and advised my mother to tie it up so that it wouldn't grow!
Oh well!
A Very Happy New Year.

No comments: