Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Broadband connection

This month I have been trying to get periappa a broadband connection. He has decided preferences. Only Sify because that is what he has in Trichy, his other home. So I have been calling Sify incessantly. And have decided that I definitely dislike those Press 1 for blah..blah...Press 2 for another set of blah...blah...All I want is actually to talk to a human being.
Anyway, after pressing through star and 1 and 2, I finally ended up with a human voice. I would like a broadband connection to be established at my Periappa's residence. I give his phone number and address. They give me a confirmation number. And assured me that within 2 days it will be all established.
Two days come and go and nothing happens. I call again. This time the human voice laughs sheepishly and says it was Diwali, you see but don't worry within 24 hours.
24 hours come and go and again I call. This time they tell me that all the survey has been done and the cable has been put in and within 48 hours it will be done.
48 hours come and go and again I call. This time all I want to know is what is their definition of 24, 48,72 hours. The human voice is soothing. Let me find out the problem . The problem turns out was that they did not have connection in that area. So when the request poured in, they had to do a survey and lay the cable.
"Shouldn't we have been informed?"
The voice soothes me:
"You will have the connection by 20th."
NOTE: They have not said which 20th.
Meantime, I have a tough job in hand: to soothe periappa.
I really think it is time appa purchased a small plane. Then he can hop across the country soothing his various relatives.

2 comments:

Suresh said...

Try googling for "sify broadband new delhi" and see what you get. It's pretty revealing. You could try showing periappa the results of the search but I am not optimistic that he will be convinced.

Rohini Muthuswami said...

Well, it is very difficult to explain anything right now. All I do is to make soothing noises and promise to call Sify up. Meantime, I am checking his emails, answering them, and printing out this important ones for him to read.