Saturday, November 10, 2007

Amla ka Murabba

Vibha has been extolling the virtues of amla (Indian gooseberry) during our daily walks. She claims it can take care of all the throat problems. As I am willing to try anything (except allopathic medicines) for my nasal problem, I put this on the list of the things to try.
So when I saw amla at the stall where I purchase coriander leaves, I fell to the temptation and brought them. The problem with amla is it is sour. The remedy is Murabba, a sweet concoction.
My periamma and I do not see eye to eye on many matters. But when it comes to recipes and knitting patterns we often turn to each other. So I sounded her out. How does one make murabba?
On Diwali day (the north Indian one, so sensible really as they postpone their festivities to evening unlike us south Indians who get up before day break to take an oil bath), I decided to try my hand at it.
The amla was pierced and steamed. And a sugar syrup was made. I could not resist. I added bay leaf, cinnamon, and cloves. When the syrup was thick, I added the juice that the amla had extruded while getting steamed. And a pinch of saffron.
And then I poured the hot mix onto a plastic container. It took me several minutes to realize that the plastic container did not appreciate the hot mix. Oops.
So I transferred it into two glass jar, added the steamed amla, and closed the container.
Periamma says that the amla will absorb the syrup and turn almost black. I am waiting. So far it has not turned any color. On the other hand, the syrup is tasty with a tangy sweet taste.
Appa should be happy. I hope so. It is one recipe that does not contain mint or garlic.

No comments: