Sunday, November 25, 2007

Bread, Butter, and Jam

Mala and I have been discussing food blogs. Both of us love to try out new recipes and the food blogs are perfect place to find them. There are many Indians out there. 90% of the Indian food bloggers are women who take great pride in making it for their "hubby" and children. It is little nauseating for me to read that. The point of fact is that though amma is a wonderful cook, she does not like being in the kitchen. No sentiments about feeding "hubby" and children ever moves her. She will cook if she wants to. If you are hungry, get into the kitchen and cook. Which is why I got into the kitchen.
So today I decided to try my hand at apple jam. I buy fruits but hardly ever eat them. So bananas are turned into banana milk shake or banana bread for consumption. And apples...I decided on apple jam.
Of course it was Lata's fault that I ended up making butter. She persuaded me to save the cream from milk and promised that she will make the butter. But yesterday she said that her eldest sister-in-law is coming and she is more scared of her than of her mother-in-law. So this morning I decided to convert all the saved up cream into butter.
And thus lunch was bread, butter, and jam. The only thing lacking was homemade bread but I have always failed in my attempt. Yeast is an organism to do experiments with not use in cooking.
Speaking of food blogs, there is a wonderful site called arabic bites. It is by two sisters who post recipes from the arabic world. I plan to try out their semolina coconut cake. But appa will be glad to know that there are two nice recipes out there: Cucumber mint yogurt salad and Coriander-mint salad.

No comments: