Saturday, April 21, 2007

A rose by any other name...

The family cackles every time my students call me Ma'am. They find it extremely amusing.
When I joined in as faculty, I told the students that they can call me by my name. They nodded their heads very obediently and said "Yes Ma'am." Lacking forcefulness like my neighbor, Rohan who bulldozed his students into not calling him Sir, I meekly submitted to my students diktats. It was an uneasy relationship till...

Ritu and I met on the first day of college. She lives in Ghaziabad and has two daughters. Diya is now in 2nd class and Tanu has turned three. Tanu and I met for the first time on the eve of Holi. She gazed at me uncertain as to who I am. Tentatively, pulling my kurta, she said "Aunty."
Diya immediately piped up: "Yeh Aunty thodi hai. Yeh to Maasi hai."

And there I rest my case.

Happy Birthday Tanu.

No comments: