Monday, April 16, 2007

Occupational hazard

As the semester/academic year draws to a close, universities start scrounging around for gullible faculty who will not only set the question paper but also evaluate them. It is an occupational hazard. Some times it is unavoidable especially when your alma mater approaches you. But some are downright nusiansical. Like the private university that sent many of us a large packet with a letter stating that the VC of their university has been pleased to appoint us on the panel to set question papers. The best part was that I was supposed to set questions for Botany, a subject I haven't studied after the 12th board exams, as they had figured out that I was an expert in it. I promptly put the whole thing in an envelope, wrote a regret letter and asked my technician to send it off at the department's expense. He was very worried. Should I send it by registered post, he asked. I don't care. Just send it off. He took the decision. Knowing his madamji has no clue about life, he decided to send it by registered post.

But the best response to this idiotic packet came from my colleague, Shyamal. He says he always takes such packets and puts them in the dustbin unopened. Next time maybe that is what I should do.

Poor amma is beginning to feel the heat of Delhi. She is longing for the salubrious climate, as appa calls it, of Madras. A dose of TV soaps would also help.

No comments: