Monday, October 3, 2011

Nobel Prize 2011 for physiology or medicine

Immunology was never my favourite subject.  This year the Nobel Prize has been won by three immunologists. Unfortunately, one of them died three days ago. While the Nobel committee mulls over the issue, I will air my peeve against the Indian newspapers.

The big news for them is that the scientist died before the Nobel Prize was announced. Oh for heaven's sake! Could you talk a little bit about the science?  The big news is not that one of them died but the fact that it has been awarded to three immunologist who made big contributions to the field. While I do not expect any erudite comment from any Indian newspaper (I gave up that expectation long time back), I do expect a balanced comment. But then our newspapers are prone to exaggeration, sensationalize, and hyperbole.  So much so that they can be expected to turn any serious topic into a silly discussion: all noise and no substance.

To return back to the Nobel Prize- Biologists/biochemists typically can be awarded under two categories. One is under physiology/medicine and the other is chemistry.  Most of the biologists started their career as chemists and the border between traditional chemistry/physics/biology has become completely blurred. So now I am waiting to hear who has been awarded for chemistry.

No comments: