Sunday, November 9, 2008

Primary Health Care in villages

I was once more in Ramdaspur, a small nondescript village in Ghazipur.
Last time I was there, in July, I met a child who had fallen down and scraped his foot. It started out as a small wound but by the time I saw it it covered two thirds of his left foot. The wound was left open, and flies were swarming over it. He would flick at them and they would fly off, only to come back and settle down on the wound.

This time in the same village, couple of children had mumps and the same boy (his wound had eventually healed) had now another wound in his foot. This one had developed pus and was obviously painful. He walked carefully, his foot to one side to ease the pain.

I did not ask the obvious question: Has he seen a doctor?
For I knew that there is no doctor in the village. There is no primary health care center in this village. And where ever there are primary health care center, the doctors do not come to the center. So the villagers just get along the best they can with home remedies.

While coming back from Ramdaspur, Visvesh showed me a new building that is coming up. It is going to serve as primary health care center for a group of villages.

"But do doctors come?"
"No."
"Why don't you file an RTI?"

I am in fact pressing Vishvesh to file RTI against errant doctors in the hope something can be done. Maybe the doctors will start attending out of fear?

No comments: