Saturday, August 23, 2008

Maa Tujhe Salam

This was the name of the recording (video?) that was released on the eve 50th anniversary of India's independence. I chanced to see the visuals on Friday when I went out for dinner.

The visuals had A.R. Rahman along with cute villagers in various garbs. There were village children running with the flags, men and women in their traditional, oh how lovely it all was! On all their faces was pride- the concept of free India, the concept of Bharat

This year during the site visits, Govind insisted on asking the children basic general knowledge.

"What is the name of our Prime Minister?"

Blank looks. Some children stared assiduously at their slates.

"Okay, what is the name of the state you are living?"

More blank looks.

"What is the name of the country?"

Some where a child told us:

"Bharat."

Whew!

I had similar experience last year when I went on site visits just after 15th August. At every center I visited, I was told that 15th August was celebrated.

"Why is 15th August celebrated?"

"The country became a republic."

"For Nehru."

"I do not know."

So my question is: What is all this country, Maa Tujhe Salam, 15th August, 26th January business all about?

No comments: