Saturday, August 16, 2008

Appa's watchman

He was a farmer. His son and daughter-in-law took away the land and left him destitute. So he came to the city where his daughter and son-in-law resided.
"You can stay here as long as you want," they told him.
But his self-respect demanded that he earn something:
"How can I live off my daughter?"
That is how he became a watchman where my parents reside.

When I entered the building he looked at me suspiciously:
"When did you come?"
"Yesterday night."
"Ah. I saw you when I came up. Where have you been?"
"To the market to get vegetables."
He nodded his head wisely and heaved a lugubrious sigh:
"Poor ayya! His health."
I was alarmed:
"What happened?"
"No, nothing. With amma like this..."
I was illumined. My mother is having cataract operation.
"Oh, she is fine. The operation will enable to see her better."
He was not pacified:
"The water is not being pumped up."
I knew about that too:
"Don't worry."
"No, I am not worrying. But poor ayya has to call the plumber."
"He has already called the plumber," I tried to cheer him up.
"I know. He said that if the plumber comes when he is still the hospital with amma, I should tell the plumber to wait."
I nodded him head.
He heaved another sigh and shook his head. I left him buried under the burden of appa's troubles.

I was touched and amused.

Appa has been looking after the building concerns almost single-handedly: water supply, pumping of the water, plumbing problems,electricity troubles, lift problems. But no one in the building has ever voiced their concern about appa's health or indeed a word of appreciation to me.

And yet here was this watchman...

No comments: