Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Paranoia

Before coming back to India I never believed the crab story as told by Rajiv Gandhi. Apparently the crabs from India were being shipped in an open container. When asked why by a puzzled westerner, the firm said that these are Indian crabs. The moment one tries to go up in life, the others will pull them down. So no one can escape the container.

I was naive. I thought this could never happen. I mean all it takes is hard work- teach properly, and do good research- and rewards will be yours to reap. Well, I was wrong. In the fourth year of my academic work in India, I am learning the hard way that the more popular you are, the harder you will fall.

Today, a colleague of mine, whom I avoid like the plague, told to me in a honey sweet voice:

"You are very popular amongst the summer school students. Every second student has opted for your lab. Actually," she amended her statement "You are very popular amongst the Ph.D. students. Every Ph.D student wants to join your lab."

Given the proximity of the colleague to the powers to be, I wonder what this portends for me in the University.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Author

You proudly responded claiming that asha for education and asha India does not have “double standards” and you are very well aware of your “responsibilities” and know about your accountability.

Please do respond to my questions and tell us where you and all in Asha for Education stand.

Others if we don’t get response we will provide evidence in support of our questions