Monday, March 11, 2013

Petunias from my garden

When I shifted to the new flats (some call it Mall View Apartments as we face the mall on the Nelson Mandela marg), I was little apprehensive about my garden.  It took me some time to establish it but we (my gardener and I) did it.  The balcony attached to the bedroom is long and east facing so I get the morning sun. My plants love it. 
We planted petunias, pansies, nasturtiums, dahlias, phlox and asters.  The petunias are the desi variety. They are available only in two colours- white and pale violet.  We also planted some of the hybrid varieties. Very showy and very colourful.
I was fascinated by the anther and the stigma.  There is a difference in the inner floral patttern between the desi variety and the hybrid variety.  Take a peek below.


Desi white petunia

Desi pale purple petunia

Hybrid petunia
By the way, there is a fantastic book by Alick Percy-Lancaster titled 'A sahib's manual for the mali'.  Alick Percy-Lancaster was the main person behind the splendid Sunder Nursery in Delhi and his manual is a delight to read.

No comments: