Monday, February 27, 2012

Ethical issues- What does CNR Rao case teach us?

Prof CNR Rao has been making headlines for the wrong reasons.  Of course he has told the newspapers that it was not his fault but the fault of the students.  I never had great opinion about Prof Rao, especially after I interviewed at JNCASR and met him for the first time, but this statement takes the cake!  Of course nothing much will come out of this. Prof. Rao is not going to reprimanded. The Indian Academy of Sciences has already issued a statement in support of CNRR. So is it even worth talking about ethical issues?  

I ask myself this question because every year I try to teach the M.Sc students about ethics in human genetics and  in research (I cover the plagiarism, acknowledgments, how to cite references).  However, what is the point if the scientists in India who hold positions like Advisor to the Prime Minister, President of various academies of sciences, Directors, Vice-chancellors etc condone transgression?  After all then the only message the new generation of scientists gets is that it is okay to indulge in unethical practices because there is going to be no punishment.

Unethical practices occur in other parts of the world too. But in the US, which is what I know most about, the punishment is severe enough to deter unethical practices. At least, the scientists know what would be the punishment if they are caught.  Here all we know is that even if you are caught nothing is going to happen.

Under such scenario, what do I teach my students?  This year has been extremely hard because I am dealing with a bunch of students who have no concept of right and wrong. Is it even worth the struggle?

1 comment:

Suresh said...

A good point. Ethics training in the absence of punishment for transgression can only go so far. Having said that, I don't doubt that your course and personal example will at least impact some students. And even if just one student is impacted, that might be worth it.