Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Eureka

Then entire lot of molecular biologist use a gene called neomycin resistance gene for selection purposes. Any cell that contains neomycin resistance gene will become resistant neomycin and its ilk, including streptomycin. As a graduate student I showed that the gene product converts neomycin and its ilk into a small molecule that inhibits a specific class of ATP hydrolyzing enzymes.

No body believed us. Joel had no grant to work with because he was believed to be an heretic. I managed to get some grant by being devious and by being in India.

We then showed that when you put the neomycin resistance gene into a cell, the cell's genetic content changes. This was a powerful data but the proof was missing. I have finally have the proof that yes, the whole genetic/cellular make up of a mammalian cell changes.

What we are actually saying is that 30 years of work done in the field might be suspect. More importantly, the spate of papers that has come out on the protein that I work with is suspect.

I am sitting back and savoring the moment with a grin on my face.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think this is really cool...it wud definitely change the outlook that v all hv...