Friday, February 6, 2009

small things in life...

Today morning as I traveled by auto to CSIR, I marveled how wonderful it is to breathe through clear nose. I know this is stupid but I suffer from allergies through the year round. It means that my nose is usually clogged and I make all sorts of weird noise as I try to breathe. The allopathic doctor had only one remedy in his pocket: steriod nasal spray. The upside (or downside) of being a biochemist is that such words usually don't impress you. I know what steriods do and thank you, I was not taking them. I decided to try ayurveda. The doctor gave me a bunch of medications, some of them downright nasty, and instructions as to what I can eat. I pretty much cannot eat anything other than boiled vegetables and rice and stuff. No oil, no sweet, no fried items, no cold items...the list is endless.

But, as I marveled today, how wonderful it is simply to just breathe. How wonderful it is to be able to sleep through the night without getting up in the middle of the night gasping for breath. I felt as wonderful as I did couple of years back when I wore contacts. I have been with spectacles for so long that I have forgotten what it is to be able to see without glasses on frame sticking on your nose. But with the contacts, I was able to forget for few minutes at least that I need pair of correcting lenses to be able to just see.

Such small things in life...

No comments: