Sunday, September 28, 2008

Internet woes

My internet woes continue. The service has not been available since Saturday. Complaints are of no avail so today I plan to call either the Junior Engineer or the Area Manager.

I feel a twinge of sympathy for them. It is a horrible position to be in. After all it is a position we have gone through.

In the early 1970s Appa was in charge of the Kidwai Bhawan exchange. We had been given living accommodation within the exchange complex. The exchange was notorious for not functioning. We could hardly ever dial out and most of the calls we received would be wrong numbers. Consequently, the home-office line was blurred and many times appa would receive complaints from harassed subscribers at home.

My periappa was very fond of one particular incident.

We were seated at the dinner table when the phone rang. My brother leapt to answer the phone. Still holding the receiver, he called out:

"Appa it is for you!"

And still holding the receiver, he said excitedly:

"Appa, do you realize it is first correct phone call we have had in this entire day?"

Appa took the receiver. The voice at the other end asked incredulously:

"Do you also receive wrong numbers?"

Appa said cheerfully:

"All the time. Tell me, how can I help you?"

"Oh I was calling you up to complain about the wrong number calls that I receive. but..."

As I pick up the phone to complain I remember the episode vividly and feel a twinge. But...

No comments: