Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Homeminister

Sometimes the only way to deal with the way the male colleagues talk is to stuff cotton plug into one's ears.
I have been for the past couple of days serving time correcting notebooks for an exam that, if somebody had sense, would be scrapped off. And in this committee there are 4 women and the rest are men. The conversation turned over to why one colleague had not made it to the meeting.
"There is a conference in Amritsar."
"Not his. His Home Minister's."
"Oh. So he has to take care of the home?"
Snide laughter.
And all I could do was to glare at the person sitting opposite me. Not that it made any effect.
Then there was another colleague who was very upset that no one bothered to respond to his emails, mails that he had sent when in America where he had gone for work. He became emotional at the faculty meeting:
"I had to cook for myself and write a grant..."
Excuse me. Some of us do it all the time. Can you please get that into your nut?

No comments: