Monday, September 10, 2007

Family planning

To return back to my Varanasi trip:

In Ramdaspur, another Mushaar basti, I was surrounded by women and children. One woman, obviously pregnant asked me:
"How much do they pay to get a family planning operation done?"
I have no idea.
"They say they are giving Rs 100/-. But tell me in these times how far will Rs 100 stretch?"
I murmur something.
"But this time I am going to get the operation done."
"Where?"
"In Jaunpur. When I visit my mother's house. I already have two children. When I had my second child, I wanted to get the operation done. But I couldn't. Now I am going to have a third child. This is enough. It is difficult to educate them when you have too many. So I have decided to put a stop to it."

The Mushaar bastis are electricity deprived. None of the households have a television. The nearest tehsil headquarters is miles away. But family planning has reached this remote hamlet, obviously.

In passing, apparently the government used money as a lure to get the operations done. But they have stopped payment now.

No comments: