Tuesday, May 1, 2007

global warming and us

This being the second straight day without AC and internet connection (it comes and goes) I have been forced to do some soul-searching. The internet connection in the school has been intermittent for the past one month. No explanation has been forthcoming. The AC has stopped working. They tell me it is the phase but since the entire school is without it I am wondering which phase. No explanation has been deemed necessary. So I searched and found one- Global warming. After all, the newspapers are full of global warming and the harmful effects of the greenhouse gas. And we have decided to do what we can to curb global warming. So no AC. No Internet.

I told my students that at this rate we might as well shut shop and go home. Pravin, my student, pointed out:
"There is no electricity at home either Ma'am."

He lives outside the campus. I assumed he meant that. But no. He was talking about his small village in Samastipur district. Electricity is available there for couple of hours.

Sometimes I need to be thankful for small mercies. At least there is electricity here. The fan feebly sends in some air. For now. Touch wood.

No comments: